WorldAttack kills eight Egyptian troops in Sinai | Conflict...

Attack kills eight Egyptian troops in Sinai | Conflict News

-

- Advertisment -spot_img

[ad_1]

Armed group ISIL claims responsibility for the attack in a statement on an ISIL-affiliated website.

A roadside bomb exploded in the restive northern part of the Sinai Peninsula, killing eight members of Egypt’s security forces, including an officer, while six others were wounded.

The troops were riding an armoured vehicle when the bomb went off in New Rafah, a town on the border with the Gaza Strip, said officials who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to speak to the media.

The wounded, who suffered serious injuries, were transferred to a military hospital in the nearby Mediterranean city of el-Arish late on Thursday.

The armed group ISIL (ISIS) claimed responsibility for the attack in a statement on an ISIL-affiliated website.

In a similar attack last month, ISIL fighters ambushed a checkpoint in the town of Sheikh Zuweid, killing at least five troops and wounding at least six others.

Egypt has been battling armed groups in northern Sinai for years. Violence and instability there intensified after the 2013 military coup that removed Mohamed Morsi, an elected but divisive president, amid nationwide protests against his brief rule.

The fighters have carried out numerous attacks, mainly targeting Egyptian security forces, minority Christians, and those who they accuse of collaborating with the military and police.

Hidden conflict

Also on Thursday, the spokesman of Egypt’s armed forces, Lieutenant-Colonel Gharib Abdel Hafez Gharib, issued a statement saying nine troops were killed and wounded in clashes in Sinai.

However, he did not provide the breakdown of the casualties. It also remained unclear which attack he was referring to.

Gharib added the armed forces killed 13 fighters and confiscated 15 automatic rifles and ammunition in northern and central Sinai. He did not specify when exactly these killings happened.

The fight against armed groups in Sinai has largely taken place hidden from the public eye, with journalists, non-residents and outside observers barred from the area. The conflict has also been kept at a distance from tourist resorts at the southern end of the peninsula.



[ad_2]

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest news

“One Chance”: Police Arrest 2 Suspects, Recover N401,000 In Abuja

Police in the FCT says they have arrested two suspects in Abuja over “one chance’’ con trap, rescued a...

‘Love Castle’ Movie Highlights Nigerian Culture Interwoven With Disability

Popular Nollywood Actor, Lateef Adedimeji, during the red carpet premier of the film in Lagos, disclosed that the movie...

WHO recommends world’s first malaria vaccine for children

The World Health Organisation on Wednesday endorsed the RTS,S/AS01 malaria vaccine, the first against the mosquito-borne disease that...
- Advertisement -spot_imgspot_img

Lagos renames Gbagada housing estate after Ndubuisi Kanu

By Oluwatope Lawanson/Florence Onuegbu The Lagos State Government on Wednesday renamed the LagosHoms, Gbagada, after former Lagos State Administrator,...

World Bank projects Nigeria’s economy to grow by 2.4% in 2021 – Nairametrics

Nigeria’s economy is expected to grow by 2.4% in 2021, due to accelerated growth in Nigeria’s service sectors,...

Must read

“One Chance”: Police Arrest 2 Suspects, Recover N401,000 In Abuja

Police in the FCT says they have arrested two...

‘Love Castle’ Movie Highlights Nigerian Culture Interwoven With Disability

Popular Nollywood Actor, Lateef Adedimeji, during the red carpet...
- Advertisement -spot_imgspot_img

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you